Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Great Debate

I have always loved saying "Happy Holidays."  It has a nice alliteration.  It sounds so cheerful. It means Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and for my Jewish friends, Happy Hanukkah.   

And now there seems to be a campaign to make me feel guilty if I say Happy Holidays.  A guy tried to convince the Mr. that you could be arrested on the East Coast if you said "Merry Christmas."   (I've yet to see the police paperwork on that one.)  Facebook status updates, email forwards, and blogs seem to reprimand those who say Happy Holidays.

I go to a church that believes we are all God's people.  "Open Hearts.  Open Doors."   I celebrate the birth of Christ, and I say Happy Holidays.  One doesn't negate the other.  I'm still welcome at my church. "Happy Holidays" doesn't keep me from lighting the Christ Child's candle or ringing the sanctuary with light on Christmas Eve.  I'm pretty sure that God still considers me one of his own.

I don't want to feel guilty for saying Happy Holidays.  I haven't taken Christ out of Christmas. I just really want you to enjoy your holidays--however you celebrate them.  I want to wish you happiness and joy and love.

This season is a celebration of love.  I think we could use a little more love this year.  (Oh, and a light snow would be nice, too!)

So...Happy Holidays!

7 comments:

Kim said...

Amen! Enjoy Christmas Eve in your new sanctuary.

Anonymous said...

Amen! I hardly think that wanting everyone to feel included in the holidays is keeping Christ out of Christmas. -- Cousin A.

Shannon said...

Well put, and such a trivial thing in the grand scheme of things. Happy Holidays to you and yours!!

Anne Collett said...

Happy Holidays! What is wrong with wanting to include instead of excluding? I have to think that God smiles more with a sincere "Happy Holidays!", than with a curmudgeonly delivered "Merry Christmas". -- Outlaw A.

Mary said...

I have a plate that says "Season's Greetings" on it. That got me thinking back to seeing Christmas Cards and decorations that had that same phrase on them. THAT got me wondering why there's such a big fuss now over whether people say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays". Guess some people just have to stir things up.
Hope you have a very Merry Christmas! Oh, and "Season's Greetings"!!! :D

holybovine said...

If that east coast story is correct, shame on them. We should be able to greet with whatever "holiday" greeting we're comfortable with. We should not be made to feel so timid about vocalizing a holiday greeting that we say nothing. So, Merry Christmas to you and yours, CC! And I hope 2011 is as good to you as 2010 was.

A said...

currently being on the east coast... i have heard plenty of wishes for a merry christmas from all different places. my students, my boss, the bagel shop people this morning...